Friday, September 15, 2006

NYC Reception August 31st

It's about time that I send a few moments to tell everyone about my NYC opening. In a nutshell it was delightful. The whole trip was fun! I got to meet several of the artists. and one of the "characters" that frequent the galleries.

To start off one of the German artists, Wojciech Cypko, was unable to make it due to his health so he sent his son and the son's girlfriend. Dillon and I rode up the elevator with them and they were delightful.





Then I met another German artist, Irene Brandt who's day job is a translator of Spanish and English. She is warm and inviting. She finds it fun to watch people smile when the veiw her pieces.




After that I discovered one of my "neighbors" on the wall, Derek Alvarez and discovered he was from Tucson, AZ. He is a young artist who enjoys showing his work in the west. He was joined by two friends and was as excited as I was about showing in NYC.

Finally from the artists, I met Anissa Mendez my other "neighbor" on the wall and she is a teacher from a Brooklyn school and I'll tell you Dillon was certainly wishing she'd move to town so that he could take art classes from her. She is a whole lot of fun and was surrounded by suportive friends and family. (Ok, I look like I've had too many drinks in this picture but I swear I was just having fun!)

To find out more about my work or the other artists or the gallery you can go to www.agora-gallery.com or www.art-mine.com.


The evening really got interesting when I was approached by a fascinating guy. He asked me if I was one of the artists, when I said, "yes" he told me that he had something for me. He handed me 4 pieces of paper with printed images of my paintings saved from the web and prose that he wrote about how my pieces had moved him. I was surprised and delighted. His poetry is pretty insightful and I think they make an interesting juxaposition to the three pieces for which I myself wrote prose. I also find it interesting to discover the reaction my audience has and he has certainly found a fun way to convey his reactions. He is an Algebra teacher in the area and has done over 5000 of these pieces, drawing from artist's pieces he found showing in various NYC galleries. The number at the beginning coresponds to the number of the poem he has done for the piece there are also pieces that he does more than one poem for. He says that he never knows where a piece will take him and he is usually surprised by the outcome. He does not post the painting/poetry on his website but there are some other poems he wrote. If you would like to know more about him here is his website: www.theskaldicsoul.com

4969
Thinking of Yon 1
[by S. David] [for Michelle Leivan]
I said it was done
Over with finished
She kept calling me Kept telling me
She was thinking of me But it couldn't work
It still can't work
I came across her picture Not to hard to do
In my wallet it's there Still
11 § [Orig 8/07/06]




4970
Resolve 1
[by S. David] [for Micelle Leivan]
She's here
In the other room Getting undressed No way I can Keep her away Do I want to
Yes no maybe Tried to work
It out so many Times before She says we're Connected
She comes There's no way She can stay Away
We live in Different Directions
Still she comes She calls me Won't go away
22§ [Orig 8/07/06]




4968
Addiction 1
[by S. David] [for Michelle Leivan]
She crashed again Fucked up again
It started as fun New feelings flying It turned hooked her She's fucked up again And for a fix again She'll fuck anyone
8§ [Orig 8/07/06]


4967
Subservient 1
[by S. David] [for Michelle Leivan]
No no it's a dream
A man's dream
Too too beautiful Too ready too
But I can't accept
I just couldn't deal There's more to you More in side you Please dreams like this Can't last no
I need an equal
Even if she'll defer And often lets me Take the lead
No not a woman Subservient to me Take your clothes off
17§ [Orig 8/07/06]

2 comments:

get zapped said...

4969 is gorgeous display of color, shape and line. The poem is nice, but the painting stands alone... Excellent work!

Michelle Leivan Original Paintings said...

Thanks! I believe it stands alone too but the poem was given to me about the piece from an admirer from NYC at the show... Thought it was really interesting so posted it here. The piece is named "Thinking of You!"